We are worldschooling and homeschooling
Worldschooling happens every day through immersion in foreign countries. All 5 of us are being worldschooled. We are constantly observing new cultures, asking questions, and making connections and comparisons to our own background. Sometimes we set up a project related to what we’re seeing, but more often, worldschooling happens naturally just by being here and being curious. Worldschooling covers every subject, and multiple subjects simultaneously. The kids help us navigate where we’ll go and what we’ll do. They help us budget, and they help us communicate in foreign languages. They’re learning to problem solve, to be flexible, to think on their feet, and to feel comfortable with differences. Bam!
Homeschooling happens most days, and can last 30 minutes or 3 hours. If Big-sis decides to tackle a new violin piece, that’s homeschooling. If I tell Big-sis she has to tackle fractions whether she likes it or not, that’s homeschooling. It can happen in a hotel room, on a plane, or on the beach. We do more when we’re staying put in an area and less when we’re moving around. We touch on math, instrument practice, and some form of writing regularly. The kids are avid readers, so we leave that alone. Sometimes they’re happy to get down to business and sometimes we battle over it. We aim to give the kids freedom to choose what subjects and skills to work on, and we hope to instill a sense of responsibility in them to educate themselves. Even though Tom and I are both teachers, we don’t prepare lessons for them (honestly, we have better things to do).
our worldschool/homeschoolcreationsThis blog is a great motivation for the kids to share what they’re learning; it’s our virtual bulletin board. Please read, share, and comment!
- The Adventures of Mr. Kitey : The episodic, comedic tales of a silly guy : Bro
- Rice Growing in Bali : Informational video takes you to the heart of the rice fields : Big-sis
- Ode to annoying bugs in Bali : An itch-inspired rant : Big-sis
- In-depth With Agus : An interview with our Balinese landlord : Big-sis
- Nature’s Legos : Building and writing with coral : Bro and Big-sis
- The Adventures of Xsashio Montoya : The episodic, comedic tales of another silly guy : Bro
- Snorkeling Discoveries : Sea creatures we saw and researched : Bro and Big-sis
- A Best Friend : An essay on sibling relationships : Big-sis
- Strength : A nature-inspired poem : Big-sis
Paragraph Practice : A glimpse into a little boy’s mind on various topics : Bro